You’ve planned a thorough vacation with your family to your dream country, or you are there on a business visit on behalf of your organization. You have to make a payment, pull out your shiny credit card, and boom! To your surprise, the transaction done charges more than the initial cost. Usually, credit charges charge an extra percentage on an international transaction to make up for the difference in currency. The term used for this is forex markup or foreign currency markup fee. This article explores various banks issuing credit cards with the lowest forex markup.
Credit cards offer many perks and rewards to their customers for transactions made on travel, dining, shopping, and retail stores. There is a range of credit cards that are custom-made for traveling purposes. These are called travel credit cards. We now present to you the best credit cards based on the lowest foreign currency markup and maximum returns.
Continue reading not to stay surprised the next time you swipe your credit card at an international destination!
List Of The Credit Cards With The Lowest Forex Markup
Here is the list of various credit cards with the lowest forex markup.
HDFC Bank Regalia Credit Card (Visa)
A frontrunner to become the credit cards with the lowest forex markup, Regalia, is a premium card offered by HDFC bank. Regalia is highly luxurious and the perfect make for those who are always ready to pack their bags and ready to move. Wanted to generate JCB card number? click here.
It comes with a markup fee of 2% on the transaction completed.
- Regalia provides free access to lounge facilities at selected airports across India and other countries. You can access lounge facilities in 12 Indian cities and 6 foreign cities.
- Every purchase of over ₹150 done towards retail, utilities, or education yields 4 reward points.
- Annual spending of ₹ 5 lakhs gives you 10,000 reward points, and spending of ₹ 8 lakhs yields another 5,000 reward points.
- Reward points are used as air miles for purchasing air tickets or on SmartBuy and net banking to purchase products at discounted rates.
- There is a provision of ₹1 crore insurance cover in case of death in an air crash and a provision of ₹ 15 lakhs in case of hospitalization abroad.
- Relatively high annual fee (₹2,500 + 18% GST)
- Requires a high net income to be eligible to avail of this card.
- Waiving off the annual fee on transactions exceeding ₹ 3 lakh results in a loss of the 2,500 reward points awarded earlier.
RBL World Safari Credit Card (MasterCard)
Primarily made for traveling purposes, this card has a higher joining fee of ₹ 3000 plus 18% GST. It comes with zero forex markup, probably making the credit with the lowest foreign transaction fee! As the name suggests, having this card in your wallet can get you many rewards if you choose to go on a safari around the globe. Read this article, if you want to generate a working & valid MasterCard Credit Card.
Travel Specific Benefits
- There is a provision of 2 complimentary lounge visits in a quarter for domestic travel and two complimentary lounge visits a year for international travel.
- International lounge access requires a Priority Pass.
- Activation results in the provision of a ₹3,000 voucher issued by MakeMyTrip, which has to be utilized in a year.
- Vouchers worth ₹10,000 are also provided from Taj Experience and MakeMyTrip when your annual spending crosses ₹7.5 lakhs or more.
- This card offers insurance coverage of close to $50,000 covering medical expenses and other such aspects falling under its ambit applicable in foreign countries.
Rewards & Points
- Rewards are in the form of travel points.
- Every ₹100 spent on general purchases yields two travel points, and every ₹100 spent on travel-specific purchases yields five travel points.
- A provision of 10,000 points happens for purchases crossing ₹2.5 lakh a year, and a provision of 15,000 points happens for purchases crossing ₹5 lakhs in a year.
- Points are redeemed on various categories available on the RBL website.
- A rare benefit offered by this card is zero foreign currency markup fee on any international transaction.
- 4 complimentary golf lessons and golf games in a year with a 50% discount on green fees.
- Any transaction between ₹500 to ₹4000 done in a fuel station across India results in waiving the 1% surcharge. The cap set for this is ₹250 per month.
- For redeeming reward points, a fee of ₹99 plus 18% GST is levied.
- A fee of $27 per person per visit is levied upon exhaustion of all complimentary lounge visits.
- Travel points are non-redeemable for international transactions.
- Considerable high annual fee.
HDFC Bank INFINIA Credit Card Metal Edition (Visa)
Another one of the premium cards offered by HDFC, INFINIA, has a forex markup of a low 2% with a slightly high annual fee of ₹12,500 plus 18% GST. The rewards offered by this card rightfully make it a credit cards with the lowest forex markup.
- INFINIA provides unlimited access to all domestic lounges and a Priority Pass membership.
- It also offers unlimited international lounge access across the globe for card users.
- Complimentary Club Marriott membership for a year.
- Every ₹150 spent on retail purchases yields five reward points.
- A welcome bonus of 12,500 points and a complimentary Marriott membership for the initial year.
- Further, reward points are converted to air miles for purchasing air tickets, or they can be used on SmartBuy and net banking to purchase products at discounted rates.
- There is an insurance cover of ₹ 3 crores in case of death in an air crash and a ₹ 50 lakhs cover for hospitalization abroad.
- Any transaction done up to ₹1000 at a fuel station across India rewards you back with a 1% fuel surcharge waiver.
- Zero rewards redemption and cash advance charge fee.
- Unlimited as well as complimentary golf lessons and all domestic and international golf courses.
- High annual fee.
- Invite only card
ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card (An American Express Network)
Having many perks similar to that of INFINIA, Emeralde is the favorite card of those who have to travel often on business trips and corporate assignments. With this card, you can enjoy your trip style and pay forex markup 1.5%. The annual fee is ₹12,000 plus 18% GST.
- Unlimited access to all domestic and international lounges.
- Free cancellation (of up to ₹12,000) on flights and hotel bookings two times a year.
- Any purchase of ₹ 100 or above yields four reward points, and a similar investment towards utilities and insurance yields a single point.
- A welcome bonus of 12,500 reward points is offered with a complimentary Marriott membership for the initial year.
- Reward points are redeemed against gifts and cash cards.
- ₹3 crores in insurance coverage in the event of accidental death.
- Complimentary golf lessons for a monthly spend of ₹50,000.
- Transactions at any fuel station result in a 1% fuel surcharge waiver.
- Discount of ₹750 from every second ticket booked on BookMyShow. No cancellation charges up to ₹12,000.
- High annual fee.
- Reward redemption fee of ₹99 plus taxes.
- No welcome benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which is the best markup fee credit card?
Given the range of perks provided by credit cards and companies, it is difficult to assign a single card based on markup fee, the user must always check additional perks accompanying a low markup fee.
Is it worth paying a high annual fee?
A credit card with lowest forex markup usually comes at a high annual fee. Remember to purchase such a card only if you're travelling (domestic and international) is on the higher side. Otherwise, these cards bring you no value.
Is GST applicable only at the time of purchasing a new card?
Every card comes with a joining fee (to be paid once, while joining) and an annual fee which (to be paid annually). Sometimes, the joining fee can be lesser or higher than the annual fee, however, in both kinds of fees, 18% GST is levied and the customer is obligated to pay this cost.
What is the average markup fee charged by cards issued in India?
On average a credit card usually levies a markup fee of 3.5% plus 18% GST on an international transaction.
Before purchasing any card, a user must check their account balance and credit score and evaluate the level of need for such a card. Thus, we have analyzed various cards and seen their perks and shortcomings. We hope that you have found your credit card with the lowest forex markup at the end of this article!
Ready to book your first flight with the card of your choice? Check out the best apps for flight booking!
- 1 List Of The Credit Cards With The Lowest Forex Markup
- 1.1 HDFC Bank Regalia Credit Card (Visa)
- 1.2 RBL World Safari Credit Card (MasterCard)
- 1.3 HDFC Bank INFINIA Credit Card Metal Edition (Visa)
- 1.4 ICICI Bank Emeralde Credit Card (An American Express Network)
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 3 Conclusion